CalCCW  

Go Back   CalCCW > Concealed Carry in California > General CCW Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseye View Post
someone asked this lawyer my same question who's name is Karyn T. Missimer and she wrote:

"yes: A DUI from 3 years ago would have no bearing on a CCW charge now. You could get a CCW. "

any comments?
Well, if I'm ever in Wisconsin and need a DUI lawyer, I'll certainly look her up! But since I can't see this happening in my future, I won't save her phone number.

Lawyer Karyn Missimer - Elkhorn Attorney - Avvo.com

Or is there another Karyn T. Missimer, Atty in California???

Billy

--William James, 1890

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”

-- Louis L' Amour
Old 03-08-2010, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerosick View Post
Well, if I'm ever in Wisconsin and need a DUI lawyer, I'll certainly look her up! But since I can't see this happening in my future, I won't save her phone number.

Lawyer Karyn Missimer - Elkhorn Attorney - Avvo.com

Or is there another Karyn T. Missimer, Atty in California???

Billy
I hadn't bothered checking, aerosick, but you piqued my curiosity. No, there's no attorney by that name in California.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietpi View Post
I hadn't bothered checking, aerosick, but you piqued my curiosity. No, there's no attorney by that name in California.
Yeah, Google is still my friend and he/she/it couldn't find her here in CA!!!

Billy

--William James, 1890

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”

-- Louis L' Amour
Old 03-08-2010, 06:35 AM
Senior Member AKA: 3BZ

This is a prime example of something I teach my kids: "You can choose your behavior, but not your consequences." I get that you "goofed," but the consequence of that lack of judgement is you aren't eligible to receive a permit that requires you exercise good judgement.

"From that day on, if I was going somewhere, I was running." Forrest Gump
Old 03-08-2010, 06:50 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
That's terrible news for me. I had a 0.09% Blood alcohol level. The maximum in CA is 0.08% only if I waited another hour before I drove. Oh well, a DUI is a DUI. I guess I'll just have to wait 5 more years to apply. I hope this forum will still be around.

I'm still open for any feedback though. If you were convicted of a DUI and were still able to obtain a CCW within 7 years, please let me know. Thanks again.

Btw I live in San Bern County.
In many other states when applying for a CCW they ask for vehicle infractions and DUI arrests in the preceding 5 year period. I discovered this while applying for non-resident CCW permits.

IMHO full disclosure of your history and 5 years after your DUI would be a more appropriate time to seek your permit.

spc
"The difference between someone on the left and us, is we instinctively understand this through common sense, education and intelligence -- while liberals have trust issues, control issues and view the world from fantasy land."

Old 03-08-2010, 07:18 AM
Senior Founding Member

Quote:
someone asked this lawyer my same question who's name is Karyn T. Missimer and she wrote:

"yes: A DUI from 3 years ago would have no bearing on a CCW charge now. You could get a CCW. "

any comments?
Im an attorney.... My guess is I know more about ccw and its application in California than Ms. Missimer.... Especially since I cant find any record of her being admitted to the CALIFORNIA STATE BAR. I do see a Karyn T. Missimer admitted to the Wisconsin Bar, but as we all know, WISCONSIN DOESN'T ISSUE ANY CCW LICENSES!

REGARDLESS, I would not agree with her statement, if it meant what you have presented it as.

However, I dont think it even means what you think it does. You will notice Ms. Missimer doesn't use the word "Permit" with regard to CCW... In fact... she says "A dui three years ago would have no bearing on a CCW CHARGE now." In our language, CHARGE means a CRIMINAL PROSECUTION.... And I suspect (since Wisconson does not ISSUE CCW permits) that when somebody asked her "Can I get a CCW after a DUI" she interpreted that as "Can I get charged with carrying a concealed weapon?" And since a DUI three years ago has no bearing on crimes committed today, you could still get charged with CCW and her resounding answer was "Uh... YEAH.... OF COURSE YOU CAN!".

"Seriously... I have no idea where I am..... What happened?"

"(M)ario (M)ainero (I)s (M)y (B)itch"

Last edited by RomanDad : 03-08-2010 at 07:21 AM.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
That's terrible news for me. I had a 0.09% Blood alcohol level. The maximum in CA is 0.08% only if I waited another hour before I drove. Oh well, a DUI is a DUI. I guess I'll just have to wait 5 more years to apply. I hope this forum will still be around.
Keep in mind too, you can't carry and have even a 0.01%, or even a drink in your hand. So you might want to consider if you're really ready for this step anyway.

John D'Agostini: "I will adopt a fair “shall issue” CCW license policy; whereby any county resident passing our state’s strict criminal background check, has not been adjudicated mentally ill, is of good moral character and demonstrates competence with their firearm through state required training shall not be denied."
Old 03-08-2010, 02:28 PM

I did not mean to insult anyones intelligence. I guess I'm just waiting for someone to tell me what I want to hear. I'll wait 5 more years. In the mean time I'll learn how to use golf club like a ninja. Thanks again everyone.. see you in 5.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:31 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanDad View Post
However, I dont think it even means what you think it does. You will notice Ms. Missimer doesn't use the word "Permit" with regard to CCW... In fact... she says "A dui three years ago would have no bearing on a CCW CHARGE now." In our language, CHARGE means a CRIMINAL PROSECUTION.... And I suspect (since Wisconson does not ISSUE CCW permits) that when somebody asked her "Can I get a CCW after a DUI" she interpreted that as "Can I get charged with carrying a concealed weapon?" And since a DUI three years ago has no bearing on crimes committed today, you could still get charged with CCW and her resounding answer was "Uh... YEAH.... OF COURSE YOU CAN!".
You lawyers needs to start talking plain English. Killed half a dozen brain cells following your logic and it clicked on your last sentence.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:45 PM

Get off of probation on the DUI first then you have a shot. The Sheriff's Dept hires deputies with prior DUI's after 4 years have passed. So I don't see why you would be held to any higher standard.

The Juvenile marijuana will not be an issue. Sealed juvenile records are not accesible by anyone, even law enforcement. I would still disclose it to show you are honest and have nothing to hide.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
I was convicted of a DUI exactly 2 years ago. Will this be a problem for obtaining a CCW? Should I wait another year just in case?

When I was a young 15 year old kid I made a poor decision and was convicted of Possession of Marijuana (misdemeanor) and was fined with no jail time. Am I supposed to put this on the application even though I was a juvenile? If so, will this deny my CCW?

"7. Are you on probation or parole from any state for conviction of any offense including
traffic? No_____Yes_____ (If yes, explain):" After being convicted of my 1st dui I was put on driving probation. No alcohol consumption for 3 years while driving 0%. Am I supposed to check yes? Or is this for something else?

Lastly, for #8 of the application (list all traffic violations).. I misplaced my ticket citations. So what am I supposed to put for the "Agency / Citation #" section?

Sorry for asking so many questions. I just want to make sure everything's perfect. Thanks.

In L.A. county you can get your DUI expunged after 4 years, as long as you followed the courts instructions. Check what it is for your county and try doing that.... It worked for Mel Gibson.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:20 PM
SB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanDad View Post
Im an attorney.... My guess is I know more about ccw and its application in California than Ms. Missimer.... Especially since I cant find any record of her being admitted to the CALIFORNIA STATE BAR. I do see a Karyn T. Missimer admitted to the Wisconsin Bar, but as we all know, WISCONSIN DOESN'T ISSUE ANY CCW LICENSES!

REGARDLESS, I would not agree with her statement, if it meant what you have presented it as.

Ahh. Great analysis, Counsel.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:34 PM
Senior Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightside View Post
Ahh. Great analysis, Counsel.
That's why they keep me around..... That and my artistic use of profanity.

"Seriously... I have no idea where I am..... What happened?"

"(M)ario (M)ainero (I)s (M)y (B)itch"

Old 03-08-2010, 09:18 PM
SB Member

Indeed. It's like.. "Objection, Your Honor... assumes facts not in evidence, vague and calls for speculation." Sustained!
Old 03-09-2010, 03:57 AM

I found this website that says I can petition to terminate my probation after 18 months. It's been 24 months so I should be qualified, if not another 12 months of waiting wont hurt. Once informal probation is terminated I can proceed to petition to expunge my dui record. It will change from no contenst/convicted to notguilty/dismissed. It shouldn't cost more than a few hundred dollars to do so.

In other words I don't have to wait 5 years. Most likely 1-2 years. This is for anyone who is in a similar situation that I am in.

Btw this doesn't mean I have a 100% shot. I still have to enter this information on the application.

Work Cited:
DUI Expungement | Clear criminal records of California DUI convictions.