CalCCW  

Go Back   CalCCW > Concealed Carry in California > Holsters/Carry Methods
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 11:35 AM

Default Tactipak elite vs Smartcarry ??

I was wondering thru this area and did not see this comparison. If it's here I missed it. I am a big boy and the IWB and OWB holsters I have tried are uncomfortable. Ya I know...lose weight...working on it. I have a friend who carries and he has a Smartcarry. He let me use it the other day to carry around the house to see if I liked it. I carried a Glock 17 4.49 inch barrel and it was surprisingly comfortable. Takes a little getting used to being its hanging around with jr. and the twins but rather comfy. A little off center 11 o'clock position...I'm a lefty.

My question is I have looked at the Tactipak elite and both holsters are pretty much the same animal Except the material used. It would seem that from any u-tube reviews I've seen that the Tactipak material will hold up a lot longer than the blue jean material used for the Smartcarry. Can anyone tell me if the Tectipak material is "slippery" ?? It would appear that the Tactipak is of higher quality but the material is concerning to me. Would love some feedback .
Old 02-12-2013, 02:08 PM

I've never used the Tactipak, actually I've never heard of it. However I use the smart carry a lot. I'm going on almost two years now and I still really like it. I'm an average size guy and I've had no problems at all. I carry a Bersa 380cc in it.

Occasionally you have to check both of your packages (notice plural) but its very comfortable. When you have to use the restroom its a little different but you get use to it. I think the smart carry folks have a return policy, you may want to check on that. If it doesn't work for you then return it.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:19 PM

I have neither so I cant speak first hand but I looked at the photos on the Tactipac website and the kydex does not look what I would call "first rate". I would like to see a pic from someone who has one cause I want to carry my bug in that location so Im looking for options.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:57 AM

Cool

Tactipak says its Military caddora (sp) nylon material. Sounds kinda "spippery" to me. Appears very durable..but
The Smartcarry is denim and "appears" more comfortable.
I imagine the nylon will wear better as apposed to the denim, but as a general rule, nylon is slippery and maybe not so comfortable. One youtube video I watched showed a Smartcarry at 7 months old and very worn around the muzzle tip and trigger guard area of the denim.

It appears the Smartcarry will hold the weapon in place more secure but appearances are not everything.

Anyone using a Tactipak elite out there please chime in.....

Military grade does not always mean REAL military Grade.....
Old 02-13-2013, 07:11 AM

Looks like I will be adding one of these styles to the list of things to make...
Old 02-13-2013, 09:11 AM

Anyone using a Tactipak elite out there please chime in.....

Maybe lack of response to your question above might just be your answer? Just a thought.

You're doing a good job at trying to determine the proper gear for you. No matter which you choose just make sure its comfortable, you're the only one that will be wearing it.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman View Post
I've never used the Tactipak, actually I've never heard of it. However I use the smart carry a lot. I'm going on almost two years now and I still really like it. I'm an average size guy and I've had no problems at all. I carry a Bersa 380cc in it.

Occasionally you have to check both of your packages (notice plural) but its very comfortable. When you have to use the restroom its a little different but you get use to it. I think the smart carry folks have a return policy, you may want to check on that. If it doesn't work for you then return it.
Vman
How is the wear n tare on ur Smartcarry ??
Old 02-13-2013, 02:06 PM

It's holding up pretty good, no complaints. It's not a crisp blue as when it was new but nobody sees it but me. Its actually very comfortable to wear.

Email smart carry. I emailed them with questions and the owner of the company replied back to me within a couple days. He answered all my questions. I think they are out of Florida if my memory serves me correctly.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:14 PM

Here is some more info regarding both of your choices. Click and read.

Smartcarry or Tactipac
Old 02-13-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman View Post
Here is some more info regarding both of your choices. Click and read.

Smartcarry or Tactipac
Thanks Vman... My buddy said to keep his holster for a couple of days and I have been....2 days now... The 1911 and Glock 17 fit in the holster well.
It is VERY comfortable Will take a little getting used to but I like deep consealment and you pretty much can't get any DEEPER than this area of the body.

I think I'll try the Smartcarry and go from there...I just don't trust nylon for holding a weapon unless its strapped, snapped, buckled....hogtied

Thank for ur help Vman